Republicans vs. Democrats. It's not conservatives vs. liberals, it's authoritarians vs. progressives.
Republicans are more Authoritarian than Conservative. Conservatives want to pick an imaginary time in the past and declare it to be perfect. Authoritarians have a Father figure complex. Whatever the Father says is right. Anything else is immoral.  So even though there is a streak of Conservatism in the Republican party, it's not really the basis of their morality. Their morality is handed to them by their Father, whatever he says is moral. To disagree with him is immoral. Pretty simple, easy for people who are too tired to think for themselves.
In contrast, the moral authority of Democrats comes from their Progressive, American ideals.
Progressives believe in the
- Declaration of Independence:
- Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness
- All men are created equal
- The people agree on how they will be governed
- No Royal authority is accepted
- No one is above the law
- The Gettysburg Address:
- Government of the people
- By the people
- For the people
• God above Man
• Man above Nature
• The Disciplined (Strong) above the Undisciplined (Weak)
• The Rich above the Poor
• Employers above Employees
• Adults above Children
• Western culture above other cultures
• America above other countries
• Men above Women
• Whites above Nonwhites
• Christians above non-Christians
• Straights above Gays
 George Lakoff - https://georgelakoff.com/2017/07/01/two-questions-about-trump-and-republicans-that-stump-progressives/ The man who understands it all. He gives advice on how to convert Authoritarians into Progressives. Framing is the key. Daddy isn't the state. The state is for providing public goods to help everyone. You can't be successful unless you work together. And not just locally, but globally.